Friday, April 18, 2014

Born to Run...Living with Hope

I first realized I had an ability to run in fourth grade.  It was field day and I had signed up for the mile race.  I hadn't done this because of a love of running, I did it because everyone who finished the mile got a ribbon.  I simply wanted a ribbon and felt this was a sure fire way to get one!

My plan was to go slow and pace myself so that I would be able to complete the race.  I tried to stay in the middle of the pack.  The problem was, the pack was moving very slow....at least it felt like they were.  Half way through the race I noticed everyone was breathing hard and slowing down even more.  More out of annoyance then anything else, I decided to run at a faster pace then the crawl I was currently in.  I slowly increased my speed being careful not to over do it.  As I continued to feel good, I ran faster.  Before I knew it, I was lapping the other racers.  It was the first time I had ever excelled at something and it felt GREAT! As you can guess, I easily won, earning that ribbon I wanted.

1986 Knowlton School Field Day

I looked forward to middle school and being on a x-country team.  The experience of running with a team was my favorite part of middle school.  I had finally found my "thing".

I switched schools when I went to high school.  I had every intention of continuing to run, but would have to do it on my own because my new school didn't have a x-country team.  I played soccer which I also loved, but in the back of my head I craved the adrenaline that went along with running a race.  After taking a year off I tried to start running again.  It was difficult now.  My knees hurt, they hurt ALOT! The doctors didn't really have an answer as to why they hurt.  They were a little swollen, but not enough to be a concern.  I, at first, blamed it on lack of conditioning, then I blamed it on the shoes I was wearing, in the end I chalked it up to maybe I had over done it when I was younger, running to much causing some damage to my knees.  Whatever the reason, I couldn't run anymore.

Over the years I made numerous attempts to start running again.  I was never successful.  My knees just bothered me to much and I was afraid of doing something worse to them.  I grieved the loss of my favorite sport.  I watched as my former team mates went on to excel at running when they were in high school.  I always wondered if taking a year off was part of the reason I could no longer run.  

Both of my daughters inherited my long distance running capability.  Even though they were good, they didn't embrace the sport like I had.  It made living vicariously through them impossible!  It actually took a lot of effort on my part to let go of my desire to see them run and let them choose for themselves what they wanted to do.

Last year, I started taking Galaxy, and this supplement resolved my arthritis pain!  For the first time since middle school I felt I could run again!  Unfortunately, this excitement was short-lived.  The neurological symptoms from lyme disease set in and I had to accept the fact something was seriously wrong with my body.

I could sit here and be angry about all that lyme has taken from me.  I have a lot to be angry about.  Instead, I cope by looking ahead.  I now know why my knees hurt so badly.  Not only do I have a reason for the knee pain, but I have hope that the knee pain will get better and I will be able to run again!  

I use to dream about running in the Boston Marathon when I was a kid.  Every year at this time, I go back and experience the burning desire to race.  In the past, when I dreamed about racing, it was just something that was a lost ability to me.  Now, I actually can think about it with hope that MAYBE I will be able to return to my favorite sport.  

Next week is a 5k at the Main Mall in Portland for Lyme Disease Awareness my hope is that next year I will be able to walk the 5k.  My DREAM is that there will come a day where I can actually RUN in this race!


Lyme disease is a horrible thing to live with.  As bad as lyme disease is, it was worse to be chronically ill with no idea as to what was wrong.  Now that I have an answer, I can look forward to a new future.  Other people with Lyme have gone into remission, why not me?





No comments:

Post a Comment