Monday, January 13, 2014

Day in the Life

I have been away from this blog for awhile.  I have been herxing.  Herxing is when bacteria are dying off and your body is unable to eliminate the dead bacteria as fast as it's being killed.  That isn't the exact scientific answer, it's just the quick description. Basically, your present symptoms get worse, and new or old symptoms appear.  Anyway, I haven't felt up to blogging, and I didn't want to just write blogs describing how sick I am.

Last week, Scott got back his test results, which were positive for lyme.  He started his antibiotics and it hasn't taken long for his herx reaction to happen.

Right now, the two of us having a conversation consists of,  "What did you say?", "I don't remember", "I know what I want to say, I can't spit it out", "huh?", "never mind".

The first thing he noticed was an increase in  fatigue.  He then noticed increased vertigo.

And then there was today.  I am praying God allows one of us to be able to function when the other one can't.

I woke up, Scott started to cook my breakfast like he usually does.  I am usually unable to stand up long enough to cook the eggs and bacon which I need to eat when taking one of my meds.  I need 20 grams of fat each time I take the Mepron.  I take it twice a day...that can be a whole other blog.

Scott found himself unable to finish cooking, thankfully I was able to take over.
Scott then drove the kids to school and I took my meds and fell back asleep.
I woke up two hours later to find Scott sitting at the other end of the couch staring blankly at the wall.
I asked him if he was ok, he held his hand up to show me how bad he was shaking.  He looked like he had Parkinson Disease.  When he got up it was apparent that his whole body was shaking.  He looked like I do when I try to walk around.  This was a dilemma, he had a chimney to clean today and we really need that income.  There was no way he could drive let alone climb on a roof.

I called our son, he was able to help Wednesday.  Time for him to learn the family business!  He did come over and drive Scott into town to run some errands.

While they were gone I spent the morning making phone calls.
Talked to HR.  I found out my employment is safe until March even though my disability runs out in February.  I'm waiting to hear back to see if my medical insurance will be in place until March as well.

Talked to the girls Lyme Literate Doctor's Office to reschedule one of their appointments.  Both girls will be evaluated for Lyme in April.

Talked to the case manager at my new insurance company.  I have an appointment with their social worker to find local resources that can assist us.

Talked to the head of the Maine State Lyme Nonprofit about possible ways they can assist with education in correlation with our fundraising efforts.  This lady has never met me but seemed to know I could over do it and reminded me a couple of times to make sure I am having people help me with my project.

Scott arrives home, looking like he was going to throw up.  I quickly decided I would be picking my daughter up at school.  He also shared the news that half of our meds still weren't into the pharmacy and also payment for my bicilin injections was denied by my new insurance.  That's $800 I don't have for a medication I desperately need.

Made plans with Mrs. Stanley to ensure class could be taught tonight.  I decided it's time I start helping out with teaching class, even if I have to do it from a wheel chair.

While waiting in the jeep for Chelsea to come out of school I called the insurance company and was told my doctor would have to call and file for an appeal stating why the injections were medically necessary.  I then shot an email out to my doctor.  Hopefully that gets taken care of quickly, I only have enough injections left for this week.

On my way home Chelsea asks me if she would get as sick as us when she starts treatment.  I told her I didn't think so because she didn't have the severe symptoms we did.  When discussing the difference in symptoms she informed me that she gets dizzy all the time.  Her words, "Sometimes when I get up and leave my room everything goes black like I can't see and I feel like I'm going to fall down or fall to the side. I have to hold the wall to not fall over".  I asked her how long this had been going on.  She told me she always has done that.  Add that to the list: tinnitus, sensitivity to sound, worsening eye sight, stiff neck and neck pain, headaches, knee pain, fatigue, rib pain....I suggested she write down all of her symptoms.  She replied, "I don't know what symptoms I have, I think every thing is normal because all the symptoms you've told me about I've head as long as I can remember".  GREAT.  She was right.  The only symptoms we know of are symptoms I have mentioned out loud and she then says, "Oh, I have that!  That's a symptom?"

  Yup. I may need to prepare for my girls to get worse before they get better.

Get back home and discovered my husband was sound asleep.  I put together a class plan.
By now I am so exhausted I felt ill.  I was ecstatic when Scott woke up feeling a little better and able to teach.  He wanted to save my assistance for tomorrow, which is a busier night.

We then realized tonight was an injection night.  I expressed my concern that he was shaking to much to give me my shot.  He demonstrated to me that if held his wrist with his other hand he was able to keep his hand from shaking.  Um, OK, I'm still not convinced, but there isn't much I can do about it.

I took my Galaxy supplement and felt a bit better.  I drove Chelsea back to school for cheering, very thankful I had arranged a ride home for her.

I took a phone call from a potential student.  I was able to talk for twenty minutes, give clear information, and I didn't have a seizure!  PROGRESS!

Once home I realize I was navigating the stairs better then usual.  YAY!  I can't feel the bottom of my feet, but my legs are working ok today.  As long as I don't walk to far.  (i.e. up and down my hall way once or twice)

So I decided to blog.  My upper back hurts and my arms are sore like I have done a hundred push ups.  Despite this, I enjoyed being the healthier one today.  Days like this help me get through the days I am really sick.

Don't forget, our family isn't the only family who has these kind of days.  We are raising money this winter for two other families besides our own to pay for appointments, medicine, supplements, and travel.  Click on the link to make a donation!
http://www.gofundme.com/atalymewarriors




No comments:

Post a Comment