Monday, November 18, 2013

Vet's are in the Know...growing epidemic as observed by an increase in canine lyme

Cato the Ninja Dog has been sick.  Well, maybe a little out of sorts would be a better description.  Sunday his face swelled up significantly, the swelling went down but the little guy was shivering often, lethargic, was losing some hair and had a slight rash on his belly.

The swelling in his face went down but his continuing shivering concerned Scott and I.  We discussed whether or not he should go to the vet.  We would feel pretty silly spending money on a vet visit to be told that Cato was shivering because he was cold.  We love this dog to pieces, but we are on a very tight budget with my medical expenses.  In the end, Scott took him to the vet.

No worries!  Cato was just having an allergic reaction to a possible bug bite.  To be on the safe side Scott had him tested for Lyme.  Our previous dog, Brownie, had lyme back in 2010 so we knew that Cato could be just as likely to catch it. (test came back negative)

What was maddening for Scott and I was how knowledgeable the Veterinarian was on the prevalence of lyme disease and the unreliable testing available for people.  The vet shared that lyme testing in dog's is over 95% accurate but in humans the testing is lucky to have a 50% accuracy rate.  Scott shared with the vet my story in how hard getting diagnosed was.  The vet was shocked that I had been sick for 20 years but no one ever figured out what was wrong with me.  What none of us get is why the medical community doesn't recognize that testing negative for lyme doesn't mean you don't have lyme.  What I don't get is why vet's seem very educated on this fact.  The vet told Scott that there has been a dramatic increase in dogs testing positive for lyme over the past few years.  They are taking this epidemic very seriously.

Maybe I should have gone to the vet for treatment.   Geesh.

So, how am I doing?  Well, I stopped taking the medicine that was triggering so many seizures.  I only had two seizures today.  WooHoo!  I went in to the hospital this morning and had my blood drawn.  Scott packed it up and fedex came to the house and picked it up.  Right now it's on it's way to IgenX lab in California.  IgenX is a lab that specializes in testing for Lyme and it's co-infections.

Will anything show up in this testing?  I have no idea.  I am praying something does.  I don't need a positive test result to start treatment.  Lyme is a clinical diagnosis.  I've already started treatment.  I would like to have something come back positive to have on record for future battles with insurance companies and social security.  (Yes, reluctantly I have started that process.  I am determined to go back to work as soon as possible, but I have to be prepared just in case.)

So, $1000 out of pocket, it's like gambling.  Unfortunately, it is necessary, and would help direct treatment easier if co-infections showed up.

I started my small dose of amoxicillin today. I was optimistic this morning that I wouldn't notice the small dose and would have more energy like I did before our trip.  NOPE.  I feel run down and unmotivated.  I'm also getting the nasty side affects that come with antibiotics.  Despite this, where I'm having fewer seizures now I have been able to do some paper work for our ATA School.  It was nice to take a small burden of my overwhelmed husband.  It is also nice to be able to watch tv and read again.  (these activities were triggering seizures).

It's testing week in taekwondo!  I am wishing I could be in the studio to see our students perform.  I am enjoying listening to their yells downstairs while I chill up statirs on the couch.

I am thankful for all the kind messages and assistance in various forms I have received.  Overall, if I'm writing a blog then I'm having an ok evening.  Let's see what tomorrow brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment